SAP CO Profitability Analysis is used to analyze the market segments classified as products, customers, sales area, business area, etc.
SAP CO Profitability Analysis (CO PA) is used for the evaluation of Market segments which is classified according to products, customers, and orders −
- or any combination of these.
- or Strategic business units such as sales organizations.
- or business areas, with reference to company’s profit.
- or contribution margin.
There are two types of Profitability Analysis are supported −
- Costing based Profitability Analysis − It is used to group the costs and revenues as per the value fields. It is used to ensure that you access at all times to a complete, short-term profitability report.
- Account based Profitability Analysis − It is used to provide you with a profitability report that is permanently reconciled with financial accounting. It is mainly used for getting information related to sales, marketing, product management and corporate planning departments to support internal accounting and decision-making.
Key Components in SAP CO Profitability Analysis
The key components in SAP CO-PA are as follows −
- Actual Posting − It allows you to transfer sales orders and billing documents from the Sales and Distribution application component to CO-PA in real time. You can also transfer costs from cost centers, orders and projects, as well as costs and revenues from direct postings or settle costs from CO to profitability segment.
- Information System − It allows you to analyze existing data from a profitability standpoint using drilldown function in the reporting tool. It allows you to navigate through a multidimensional data cube using different functions like drill down or switching hierarchies. The system displays data in either value fields or accounts, depending on the currently active type of Profitability Analysis and the type to which the report structure is assigned.
Planning − This allows you to create a sales and profit plan. Whereas both types of Profitability Analysis can receive actual data in parallel, there is no common source of planning data. Consequently, you always plan either in accounts (account based CO PA) or in value fields (costing based CO PA). The manual planning function allows you to define planning screens for your organization. With this you can display reference data in planning, calculate formulas, create forecasts, and more. You can perform planning at any level of detail.
You can plan at a higher level, and have this data distributed top-down automatically. In automatic planning, you can copy and reevaluate actual or planning data for a large number of profitability segments at once.